This is the art of drinking water:
1. First of all sit down just as you sit at mealtimes before you lift the glass to drink some water.
2. No matter how thirsty you are don’t drink whole glass of water at once. Take sips!
3. Sip water regularly throughout the day. If you drink a large amount of water at once, the water will just go through you and your body will not absorb it.
4. Forget about the water from the refrigerator. Room temperature water is better and it won’t damage your digestive system.
5. Take only few sips of water after the meal. The rule is as follows: fill your stomach 50% with food, 25% with water, and leave 25% empty for the digestive juices and process. If you drink more water than recommended, it will interfere the work of the digestive system.
6. Follow this rule before you start with your meal, as well. Do not drink too much water.
7. Drink water whenever you are thirsty. Thirst should not be overlooked. It is a sign that your body needs hydration.
8. In terms of quantity, the basic rule states that we are required to drink eight glasses of water a day. But, this rule cannot apply to everyone since we are all different, with different lifestyles and diets. Therefore, it is best to drink water when you are thirsty.
9. The urine shows whether you drink enough water. If your urine is clear and straw-colored then your body is hydrated, but if the color of urine is dark yellow it means that you need more water.
10. The lips are one more indicator of dehydration. If your lips are dry it is a signal that your body needs more water.
Rules for drinking water are very simple and you will feel the difference once you start practicing them. Most important of all is to be aware of the signals that your body sends to you.