We won’t leave the house without it. We panic when we can’t find it. We scurry to recharge it when the battery is low. We feel empty without it in our hands or nearby. We are constantly checking it. We are more attached to it than we realize. Our cell phones are becoming an extension of our bodies. Literally. They are giving us cancer-inducing radiation.
Electromagnetic Radiation From Your Cell Phone
There are two types of electromagnetic radiation:
- Ionizing – high frequency and high energy (x-rays, cosmic rays, etc.)
- Non-ionizing – low frequency and low energy (radio frequency, power frequency, etc.)
Cell phones transmit a form of non-ionizing radiation from their antennas. This transmittance is how wireless calls and WiFi connections occur. Body tissues close to it absorb this energy.(1)
The radiation is increased during active phone calls, but the exposure continues long afterward. A study was published in 2009 that measured the pelvic bone density in 150 men, all of whom wore their phones attached to their belt for 15 hours a day for about six years. The scientists found the bone mineral density was decreased on the side of the pelvis where the cell was carried.
In one case, a woman with no predisposition for cancer became afflicted with multi-focal breast cancer. Her cancer specialists connected the dots, and the pattern and distribution of the cancerous cells outlined the shape of her cell phone. This seemed peculiar enough; then the woman explained that she is continuously tucking her phone into her bra. (2)
The 10 Worst Cell Phones
The FCC created guidelines to measure the radiation in tissue by using the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR). The SAR set a maximum for legal cell phone radiation at 1.6 watts of energy absorbed per kilogram of body mass. This test uses the thermal effects of phone radiation.
The limit is 1.6, but some phones have come pretty close.
- Motorola Droid Maxx – SAR 1.54
- Motorola Droid Ultra – SAR 1.54
- Motorola Moto E – SAR 1.5 (3)
- Alcatel One Touch Evolve – SAR 1.49
- Huawei Vitria – SAR 1.49
- Kyocera Hydro Edge – SAR 1.48
- Kyocera Kona – SAR 1.45
- Kyocera Hydro XTRM – SAR 1.44
- BlackBerry Z10 – SAR 1.42
- BlackBerry Z30 – SAR 1.41
(ZTE Source – SAR 1.41)
(ZTE Warp 4G – SAR 1.41) (4)
Protection Yourself From Radiation
- First of all, get rid of those harmful phones if you have one. Every time you come into contact with it, you will receive an increased amount of radiation than other brands.
- Keep children safe. Children are more susceptible to radiation, and this can cause behavior difficulties, emotional problems, social issues, and hyperactivity.
- Reduce your usage. Turn off your phone when you are not using it; don’t just flick it to sleep mode where it is still sending off carcinogenic energies.
- Only make phone calls with good reception. The weaker the connection is, the more power your phone is using, thus the dangerous waves can penetrate your body even more deeply.
- Don’t carry your phone on your body. Avoid putting it in your pocket, belt clip, or your bra like the cancer-ridden woman in the above study. Just keep it away from wherever you don’t want cancer to grow. The fewer layers between you and your phone, the more radiation is being shot into your body.
- Keep your phone six inches from your body when it is in use. This perimeter is the most dangerous zone from radiation. Stay away.
- Use a shielded headset or speakers. (5)
We’ve gone too far to be capable of giving up cell phones entirely. Yet using them wisely can still spare us from unnecessary radiation. If you would incorporate healthier foods or habits into your life to protect yourself and your family from cancer, then putting boundaries on cell phone usage falls under the same category.